In conjunction with International Women’s Day and in celebration of Women in History Month Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Beach Resort and Hilton Garden Inn Ras Al Khaimah were invited by Prof. Lindsey J Kemp, School of Business, American University of Ras Al Khaimah to participate in a research study entitled; ‘Metaphor and Symbolic Meaning in Organizational Space: A study of working women in Ras Al Khaimah’. The purpose of the research is to gain an understanding of working women in organizations of the Northern Emirates of the UAE.
The benefits that may reasonably be expected to result from this study are to enable study investigators, other researchers and practitioners to understand women in organizations.
Helen Jacobe, Cluster General Manager nominated 10 women from the properties from different cultural backgrounds, ages and departments to take part in this research study.
Prof. Lindsey and Dr. Fathia shadowed the daily routine of the ladies and conducted 20-30 minute interviews with them separately in their working spaces; some of the questions were;
1. Describe their work environment.
2. How do they gain job satisfaction in their workspace?
3. Explain how their work environment contributes to their job performance.
4. How do they find privacy in their workspace?
5. Where would they prefer to work – home or in an organisation and explain their preference.
The women expressed themselves eloquently and contributed insightful accounts towards this research project which will benefit all women in future.